View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Oster's Enlistment App 

Post Oster's Enlistment App
S!~14./JG5

Please accept this post as my request for consideration for membership.

Personal Information:

My RL name is John, I live in Ann Arbor Michigan, and I work in the Automotive Industry as a Marketing/Sales Manager. I have loved aircraft and flying for as long as I can remember. When I finished high school I was accepted into the Canadian Armed Forces for Flight Crew Training (Pilot/Navigator), but declined it because they would not offer me any college/university support.

Had the flying bug so bad that in the 90s, while I lived in Chicago, I accumulated 4 hours towards my soar plane pilot’s license. It does not sound like a lot of time, but without an engine a typical flight only last 20 minutes lol. Stopped taking lessons when we were coming in for a landing in a 1960s era Schweizer Glider and we turned final and had to crab a full 45 degrees along the runway, because of cross wind. I am looking across the instructor and out the side window to see down the runway. We got 3 feet off the deck and the instructor kicked the rudder and straightened us out, opened the air brakes and we dropped like a rock. Shock me up, and I have never flown a glider since.

Started looking for safer outlets for my flying bug, so I started flying on-line with a German RB3D squadron, then migrated to IL2 and the =AVG= (because of the high number of exRB3D pilots in the =AVG=)

Why you would like to join 14./JG5:

Originally I got my first taste of Full Real flying while I was in the =AVG=, and instantly was hooked. I do not fly open servers very much (unless they are full real) as lone wolf flying is not enjoyable to me. I prefer to fly organized events with set mission objectives, and a tactical plan that is followed. One in which a group effort is the only way to succeed.

My decision to leave the =AVG= was based on the fact that majority of their members were drifting away from Full Real settings, to more relaxed settings, and it was not the direction I wanted to go.

So… now I am looking for a squadron that is focused on full real and does more than just give lip service to the concept of “Teamwork”. In my various encounters with 14./JG5 pilots I get a sense that you guys really do embrace this concept and understand that great things can be achieved by a few dedicated pilots, applying themselves.

My flight plans are to remain in GS (with an organized squad) and fly SEOW once a week. In addition I prefer to belong to a squad that has some type of organized training/squad nights occasionally.

What I bring to the Team, and where do I want to focus my efforts to improve my skills:

I am a good utility player. Jack of all trades/Master of none. If you need a fighter, I can keep my head above water, if you need a ground attack, I can blast with the best of them, if you need a High Alt Level Bomber, I am there.

What I am actually looking forward to is having some time to work on my own games skills, as I spent a large amount of time in my last squadron helping brand new players (to IL2) get up and running in a relaxed settings environment. Don’t get me wrong, I love to share what I know, it’s just that I don’t feel that I know as much as I would like. I feel I had progressed, skills wise, as far as I was going to in my old squad, and need some time with a true full real group to bring my skill level up to the next level.

I would say my biggest area for improvement is in the area of Situational Awareness. Now I have TrackIR, but still I have a hard time visualizing where a bogey will be in 10-20 seconds, when I am in the tactical environment. It typically leads me to fall back to either an energy bleeding turn or a ½ Cuban or Barrel Roll as my opening option. I really want to work on this, and the only way is to fly more, in full real settings, against real opponents. Offline AI work only gets you so far.

Criteria

I am mid 40s but because of my work/travel schedule I am only able to commit to two nights per week to GS, and one night per week to a squad night/event. I have been flying Full Switch in FS, GS, and SEOW for the last 2 ½ years, in a variety of German and Allied Planes (single and multi-engine). I am as comfortable in a 109/Spitfire as I am in an HE-111/B25 or a JU-87/A20. Oh and I have both TS2 & TS3 set up.

Well I think I have covered the items you requested in the enlistment application, I hope that once you have had a chance to discuss my info, you will let me have the opportunity to fly with you guys, so we can get a feel for each other.

Hope to see you in the Sky!!!

Thanks and S!~

Last edited by Oster on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 pm
CO

Post Re: BigO's Enlistment App
Terrific application! Thank you for considering us first! I'm sure we'll get back to you very soon.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:16 pm
CO

Post Re: BigO's Enlistment App
Application approved for a probationary status! I've updated your callsign as per your request.

Welcome aboard!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]