View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Cerberus/Cerber0s application 

Post Cerberus/Cerber0s application
Hey guys, Cerberus here. I'm a 21 year old broke college student... normally live in Norcal but I'm visiting my parents in South Carolina atm for a couple months (they normally live overseas so when they come home I try to show up ;)).

Always been obsessed with military stuff... since I was about 6. I was seriously drawing battle scenes in kindergarten art class. Still have a few to prove it :pilotgrin: . I was really into fighters and all that good stuff, was sure I wanted to be a fighter pilot, then I kinda got more interested in infantry type stuff through middle/high school, and almost enlisted until I started college and fell in with the evil hippie crowd :lol:. I'm still into it all as a hobby though. Big fan of wargaming too, I play a lot of Combat Mission. I like Red Orchestra a lot too.

Took a flight school class in high school, got to fly a cessna probably half a dozen times. Pretty fun. My favorite was diving which kinda caused this partial anti-grav effect in the cockpit (at which point all my friends in the back seat would start throwing stuff in the air to see how it would "float"). I'm not as into flight in general as I used to be as a kid but I definitely still love WW2 combat aviation and blowing the crap out of people online.

I'm medium skill level. I've only had the game for about 6 months or so but I think I've improved a good bit since I got it. Normally fly on Skies of Valor. I've flown on warclouds and spitsvs109 a few times but to be honest thought it was a bit lonely out there on the huge maps with no wingmen. I have no problem with navigation without the map icons, I've done it a few times in real life in the cessna like I said. Anyways, I've improved a lot especially in the last few months... last time I checked my "stats" on SOV (I play under "Cerber0s" as Cerberus is already taken), I'd blown up 2 and a half enemy planes for every time I went down. So I'm decent. Generally I find these days the only times I get killed are when I make a stupid mistake or get bounced when I'm not paying attention. Or a lucky AAA hit. Plenty of people better than me but I think I learn quickly and am "adaptable". I've actually had a habit recently of recording tracks of me playing and then going back and looking at where I messed up/what kind of maneuver would have given me the upper hand. It's helped a lot. I did this with gunnery too and that's definitely improved, I've been pulling off snap shots at awkward angles a good deal of the time now, though I still miss of course plenty of times (usually though I "know" I'm going to miss, it's only when I don't have the self control to not try an impossible shot).

Favorite plane within its historical context has to be the Antons. Once I got the hang of what NOT to do with them (i.e. turn), I've been doing pretty damn well. I definitely play the best with these... only threat really are the P47s and P51s. My favorite thing about them is how they handle in super high speed dives. You can roll, and make quick adjustments to pull off a snapshot with ease. Something I've been practicing recently is if someone I'm diving on pulls a split-s, to quickly roll inverted, jam the elevator trim in the "down" direction (of course since I'm inverted this pushes me up, and then with my wide open view of him blast him. Always feel good when I pull that one off :). I like the doras too but for some reason I don't seem to be as good a shot with it. Obviously though in a late war situation I'd rather have a dora... I do alright with 109s too, I love the ROC on 'em, but don't like how stiff the stick gets in a dive.

I do play allies occasionally to get the feel of where I can trip them up when I'm flying against them. And I can't stand flying zekes so if it's a pacific map I always go allied, unless KIs are available.

Areas to work on: Flying without externals, will have to get more used to that, and defensive maneuvers. I know all the basic ones: split-s, scissors, rolling scissors, barrel roll, etc. but I've seen some people get out of some real nasty situations some I'm sure I could learn more in that.

Main reason I wanted to join was because whenever I see you guys on the server you're always kicking butt in a major way and I'd like to learn from the best. I only recently found out about FS but I held off on registering since I was planning to join a squadron.

As far as how much time I can dedicate to this, quite a bit. I work a sales job, and basically the deal is it's 12-14 hour days 7 days a week for 4-6 months a year (depending on how I do). So basically I work like a maniac with no freetime half the year and then can goof off the rest of it. I'm currently taking a break from college to make more money for my last 2 years since I ran out. I do give preference of course to hanging out with my friends in RL, but I should still have plenty of time since I literally have the entire day free all week long.

Thanks! Sorry for the length but I saw walter's and thought if I just wrote a quick paragraph that would be in bad form ;).

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 am
CO

Post Re: Cerberus/Cerber0s application
Cerberus wrote:
...Sorry for the length ... thought if I just wrote a quick paragraph that would be in bad form ;).

Well, considering we haven't really had a chance to fly with you to get to know you, writing all that was, I think, necessary to understand more about you. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

We'd like the opportunity to fly with you on comms in order to make our decision easier, so please look for us online and get in a server and on comms with us and come flying.

Give us some time to deliberate, as we do with all our prospective recruits, and we will get back with you.

Thanks!

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:10 am

Alright, I'll keep an eye out for you all on HL.

I'll go ahead and register on FS right now too as per your PM.

EDIT: Just registered at FS (main site and forum). Says I need activation from admin though so hopefully that happens soon.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm
CO

Application accepted for probationary status! Welcome aboard! :pilotcool:

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]