View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Collings Foundation B-17 "Nine'O'Nine" and B-24 "Witchcraft" 
Webmaster

Post Collings Foundation B-17 "Nine'O'Nine" and B-24 "Witchcraft"
So I took my daughters out to Wiley Post Airport here in OKC this morning to show them some WWII birds. Took them up inside a B-17G Flying Fortress "Nine'O'Nines" and a B-24J Liberator, "Witchcraft". The dual-control P-51C "Betty Jane" was there as well...which is cool because I believe it is the only dual-seat P-51C left.

They had fun.

I had a lot of fun.

I am NOT a photographer (cough: Adrifter) and it was a crappy day for good shots...but here are a few photos.

Here is a link to all the pics. The last two are videos of the B-17 taxiing out, and the B-24 taxiing in. LOVE the sounds of those engines. Wish the random kid would have shut up tho.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1074887933 ... IAircraft#

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Post Re: Collings Foundation B-17 "Nine'O'Nine" and B-24 "Witchcr
Very cool Medar. Nice pictures and videos. I went to see the Collings Foundation B-17 and P-51 here in the Bay Area last year with my daughter and had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, did not see "Witchcraft". The B-24 is such an ugly cool plane. I also didn't get to see them fly off the airfield - that must've been a treat. The day before I went, I saw the B-17 fly low over my house, and that's what led me to find out the planes were being displayed. Well, actually, first I heard the B-17, and went outside to look up knowing it wasn't the usual Cessna flying by.

Being inside the B-17, what stands out in my memory is how uncomfortably hot the top turret gunner's position was, just standing there for a couple of minutes in the sun. And the bottom turret gunner's position - wow! - what a death trap. Oh, and narrowness of the walkway between the bomb racks leading between the front and back of the plane. They had the bomb bay doors open, and I was afraid my little 3.5 year old was going to fall. Of course, she zoomed across it no problem. She had me take her back through the plane 5 or 6 times so she could sit in all the radio chairs and turn the knobs, etc. etc. Good dad-daughter bonding time to be sure.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]